Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS)
The Global Organic Textile Standard holds manufacturers socially and environmentally accountable. MetaWear is proud to be the first GOTS-certified turn-key manufacturer and screen printer in North America.
The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) is the worldwide leading textile processing standard for organic fibers and is backed up by independent certification of the entire textile supply chain, from farm to finished product.
- Textiles must be at least 95% certified organic fiber to be labeled GOTS “organic”
- Textiles must be at least 70% certified organic fiber to be labeled GOTS “made with organic.”
- GOTS can also apply to organic “in conversion.”
- All operators must have an environmental policy including target goals and procedures to minimize waste and discharges.
- Raw materials, intermediates, final textile products as well as accessories must meet stringent limits regarding unwanted residues.
- “Minimum social criteria based on the key norms of the International Labor Organisation (ILO) must be met by all processors and manufacturers.” These include: employment being freely chosen, safe and hygienic working conditions, no child labor, and payment of a living wage.
- Discharge printing methods using aromatic solvents and plastisol printing methods using phthalates and PVC are prohibited.
The Cradle to Cradle Institute is an organization that sets the bar high for businesses that are invested in a circular economy, better known as “closing the loop.” The idea is that what we take from the Earth, we give back to the Earth. Certification requires meeting guidelines in the areas of material health, material re-use, renewable energy, water stewardship, and social justice.
MetaWear is proud to be the first Cradle-to-Cradle certified manufacturer in the world!
For more information about this certification, please go to Cradle to Cradle.
We believe the nurturing of people and profit go hand-in-hand, so every person we work with is paid a fair wage and given a safe working environment. We use fair label principles in our organization and can offer Fair Trade Certification for select products. Marci, our founder, was a driving force in creating Fair Trade USA’s textile standard which is the first Fair Trade textile standard in the world.